Thursday, July 24, 2008

Florence

This picture was taken at the Duomo in Florence. We got there early to beat the crowds and boy were we glad an hour after this picture was taken the square was full of tourists and umbrellas.



This was the smallest car that we saw while in Italy. It actually has one seat in it. It is sort of like a threee wheeled closed moped. the streets are so small in florence they were not an uncommon sight.




I have to admit that Florence was not my favorite city we visited in Italy. Don't get me wrong it was beautiful, and unique and different from anything here, but there were aspects of it that I did not enjoy.

Things I didn't enjoy include the massive amount of people everywhere and how dirty everything was. It made me sad to see how people have treated some of the oldest buidings in Italy. It also rained almost the entire time we were in Florence, so if we look a bit damp in the pictures you will understand. This picture is of Pointe Vechio a world famous Jewelry area is on the brigde. I found several items I would love to have but unfortunately most of them were over 3,000 Euro. Too bad, maybe next time!!!




We spent two days and three nights in Florence and saw so much. I also haven't walked this much in a long time (at least since the college days). The bus system was a bit crazy, and crowded but I am happy to say we hardly ever missed a stop we were aiming to get off on and only had to run to catch a bus once or twice.




One of the reasons to go to Florence is the shopping. They have some small markets which sell all kinds of things, but mostly leather, ties, scarves, and other souvenirs. It was a fun place to shop especially in the rain. It wasn't too crowded.

We also ran into about 6 sets of missionaries from the states and of course I just had to say hello. We are all children of our heavenly father and that is perhaps one of the best things I learned form this trip. I am so blessed to live where I do but people in other places are different and that is what makes this world so wonderful. Embrace the differences, and be grateful for what we have.

If you can see it we probably saw it. This picture was taken formt he piazza michealangelo where the original David was located. We saw the replica and the original. I guess that is what you go to Florence to see and we did. Overall we saw so much stuff in Florence it is hard to list it all so I wont try. We aso had some great food in Florence. The time went by too quickly. If I had to do it again I would have spent time in Umbria (it was so beautiful in the rural areas) rather than in Florence, but like I said maybe next time.

1 comments:

Julie said...

I'll say it again-- sooooo jealous! But I am so glad you got to go. :D

I know the blogging monster eats up time like crazy, but I have loved seeing how big your kids are getting and what you are doing these days.

Did you see that Laura commented on my blog? I think she might be starting one, too. Yay!

Lots of love!